Annual Serve Day
Faith Life Church Outreach is made up of Outreach Small Groups and individuals who are using their gifts and talents to glorify God by serving others. We serve others by demonstrating God’s love in practical ways by caring for the felt needs within our communities and sphere of influence.
Begin by asking your small group members the following questions. Hopefully, the answers will help you develop a project that is a perfect fit for your group.
- Who in your neighborhood has a need?
- What business or organization within your sphere of influence could use a blessing?
- What project types best suit your group’s ages and abilities? (prayer, worship, teaching, physical labor, etc.)
- Host a free garage sale.
- Bring free lunches to construction workers and servicemen in your area.
- Hand out free gum at a local park.
- Clean up a widow’s or single mom’s yard.
- Give out free sunscreen at a city park.
- Give out free bottled water.
- Plan a “Back to School Bash” for foster care children. Have free food, games, and a backpack/school supply giveaway.
- Give out free donuts and coffee at bus stop or shopping center.
- Host a free car wash for the faculty.
- Minor car repairs for elderly, widows, and/or single moms.
- Kids host a free kids’ toys and games garage sale.
- Kids host a free lemonade stand.
- Deliver fresh flowers to the residents.
- Host a worship service at a nursing home (offer worship, devotions, prayer, and fellowship).
- Throw a “Senior Prom” complete with live music, food, and decorations.
-Landscape a flower garden and sitting area for residents.
-Have kids make crafts (necklaces, wooden crosses) that can be given to residents.
-Distribute chips and sodas to residents and employees (check with staff on food restrictions).
- Have a Tea Party.
- Help the residents complete care packages for foster kids.
- Band: Serve free drinks or snacks at their practices.
-Sports teams: Serve free bottled water at their practices.
- Give away free mechanical pencils or energy drinks to college students.
-Host a free picnic in the quad.
- Give out free donuts and coffee on the quad.
Special Needs/Youth Home
- Identify a family with a special needs child and give the family a Mom & Dad’s Day Out.
-Adopt a group home for the day, and throw a party for the residents.
-Build a wheelchair ramp for the disabled.
- Organize a field day for a group youth home.
- Serve hot breakfast for the homeless in your community.
- Do a community trash cleanup.
- Host a “Block Party” with free food, games, music, etc. for families.
- Renovate a run-down playground or park in the area.
- Do a door-to-door grocery giveaway.
- Have a “Free Grass Cutting” day.
- Serve free coffee, energy drinks, and snacks to staff and those waiting in the emergency room.
- Give out healthy snacks to patients of chemotherapy.
-Deliver small gifts to patients and families in the children’s ward (toys, care packages, etc).
- Make prayer visits with patients and those in the emergency room.
- Take care packages with snacks, sweets, and small gift items (lotions, magazines, puzzles, etc.) to families of hospitalized children.
Business/Service Organizations/Public Servicemen
- Wash windows.
- Pick up trash in the parking lot.
- Corral shopping carts to designated spaces.
- Cook lunch for your local police or fire station.
For further inspiration, you and your congregation can get more ideas from these great books:
Servolution by Dino Rizzo
Conspiracy of Kindness by Steve Sjogren
The Cause Within You by Matthew Barnett
When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert