Monthly Serve Day
Monthly SERVE Day is an outreach event designed to serve others and our communitites as we tackle a variaty of projects and show the love of Christ in a real way.
Begin by asking your small group members the following questions. Hopefully, the answers will help you develop a project that is a perfect fit for your group.
- Who in your neighborhood has a need?
- What business or organization within your sphere of influence could use a blessing?
- What project types best suit your group’s ages and abilities? (prayer, worship, teaching, physical labor, etc.)
- Host a free garage sale.
- Bring free lunches to construction workers and servicemen in your area.
- Hand out free gum at a local park.
- Clean up a widow’s or single mom’s yard.
- Give out free sunscreen at a city park.
- Give out free bottled water.
- Plan a “Back to School Bash” for foster care children. Have free food, games, and a backpack/school supply giveaway.
- Give out free donuts and coffee at bus stop or shopping center.
- Host a free car wash for the faculty.
- Minor car repairs for elderly, widows, and/or single moms.
- Kids host a free kids’ toys and games garage sale.
- Kids host a free lemonade stand.
- Deliver fresh flowers to the residents.
- Host a worship service at a nursing home (offer worship, devotions, prayer, and fellowship).
- Throw a “Senior Prom” complete with live music, food, and decorations.
-Landscape a flower garden and sitting area for residents.
-Have kids make crafts (necklaces, wooden crosses) that can be given to residents.
-Distribute chips and sodas to residents and employees (check with staff on food restrictions).
- Have a Tea Party.
- Help the residents complete care packages for foster kids.
- Band: Serve free drinks or snacks at their practices.
-Sports teams: Serve free bottled water at their practices.
- Give away free mechanical pencils or energy drinks to college students.
-Host a free picnic in the quad.
- Give out free donuts and coffee on the quad.
Special Needs/Youth Home
- Identify a family with a special needs child and give the family a Mom & Dad’s Day Out.
-Adopt a group home for the day, and throw a party for the residents.
-Build a wheelchair ramp for the disabled.
- Organize a field day for a group youth home.
- Serve hot breakfast for the homeless in your community.
- Do a community trash cleanup.
- Host a “Block Party” with free food, games, music, etc. for families.
- Renovate a run-down playground or park in the area.
- Do a door-to-door grocery giveaway.
- Have a “Free Grass Cutting” day.
- Serve free coffee, energy drinks, and snacks to staff and those waiting in the emergency room.
- Give out healthy snacks to patients of chemotherapy.
-Deliver small gifts to patients and families in the children’s ward (toys, care packages, etc).
- Make prayer visits with patients and those in the emergency room.
- Take care packages with snacks, sweets, and small gift items (lotions, magazines, puzzles, etc.) to families of hospitalized children.
Business/Service Organizations/Public Servicemen
- Wash windows.
- Pick up trash in the parking lot.
- Corral shopping carts to designated spaces.
- Cook lunch for your local police or fire station.
For further inspiration, you and your congregation can get more ideas from these great books:
Servolution by Dino Rizzo
Conspiracy of Kindness by Steve Sjogren
The Cause Within You by Matthew Barnett
When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert